Chapter of SC Genealogical Society

( Serving: Oconee & Pickens County )






A - Z Surnames


Dec-2004 WebPage


A - Z Surnames


Dec-2006 Database


By-Laws - Society


Cemetery Holdings:




Cemetery GPS Mapping:




Cemetery Surname Index:

   # 1

   # 2




Copyright Notice


Genealogical Resources


Genealogy Trails


GenWeb Projects:





Google Books


Maps & Places:

  Codes - Area

  Codes - ZIP

  County - Borders

        County - Historical Markers

  County - Histories

  County - Townships

  GPS Mapping System




Membership - 2015


Newsletters 1977-1999


Newsletters 2000-2015


Officers - 2015


Publications - 2015


Query Boards:

   Oconee - RW

   Pendleton - RW

   Pickens - RW


SCGS Chapters


 SCGS Society


Searching Around Help


Society's Heritage


Tour Pickens County


Training - On-Line


Upstate SC Black Heritage Portal





   Soldiers  (new)



Webmaster: NN8NN


free hit counter script


Effective: 09-Apr-2015



                        South Carolina

                           Smiling Faces Beautiful Places


site search by freefind advanced




Pendleton District is a former judicial district in South Carolina. It existed as a county or a district from 7-Mar-1789 to 20-Dec-1826.


In the colonial period, the land around the coast was divided into parishes corresponding to the parishes of the Church of England. There were also several counties that had judicial and electoral functions. As people settled the backcountry, judicial districts and additional counties were formed. This structure continued and grew after the Revolutionary War. In 1800, all counties were renamed as districts. In 1868, the districts were converted back to counties. The South Carolina Department of Archives and History has maps that show the boundaries of counties, districts, and parishes starting in 1682.


Pendleton County was created on 7-Mar-1789 in the former Indian lands. It included the current Anderson and Pickens counties and all but about 70 square miles along the Chattooga River of Oconee County. The land along the Chattooga belonged the Cherokee and Creek peoples. Pendleton County was attached to Abbeville.


On 19-Feb-1791, Pendleton County became part of the new Washington District, which also included most of Greenville County. On 1-Jan-1800, Washington District was disbanded. Pendleton County and Greenville County were renamed as districts.


On 19-Dec-1816, Pendleton District gained the Indian lands along the Chattooga. Finally, on 20-Dec-1826, the Pendleton District was abolished and replaced by Anderson and Pickens Districts. Pickens District incorporated both the current Pickens and Oconee Counties.


The court house and jail for Pendleton District were in Pendleton, South Carolina. As the time of the dissolution of the district, its second court house was under construction. This was completed by the Pendleton Farmers' Society. It is still standing in on the Pendleton Square and is part of the Pendleton Historic District.  By: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc (Permission granted)






All webpages that are being made available for your viewing & use, are not copyrighted.  It's believed that the usage of any original work submittals contained within these webpages such as articles, compiling, photographs or graphics, conform to Fair Use Doctrine & Copyright guidelines. 


Visit the US Copyright Office at http://www.copyright.gov/ for further enlightenment.    


COPYRIGHT:  (1) Works published before 1923, are considered to be public-domain.  (2) Works published 1923-1977 without a copyright notice, are considered to be public-domain. (3) Unpublished non-copyrighted works will have Author permission for public-domain.  Facts (names, dates & places) & data can not be copyrighted. Narration, compilations and creative works can be copyrighted.  Copyright law in the U.S. does not protect facts or data, just the presentation of this data.